Monday, January 21, 2013

Potty Training: Last Post

I'm writing my last post on potty training, or dedicated post.

(Here are Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 and Days 4-6)

We started on Saturday January 12th potty training our twin recently turned two year olds. The take I took on potty training was from friends and a couple mom blogs. I took what I felt would work for my girls and threw out what wasn't going to work or what didn't work.

The most complicated thing out of all this potty training, was potty training two at the same time. (duh)
Really, only because I have two daughters that even though are only 4 minutes apart in age, they are way more distant in personality and needs. Trying to do the exact same take at the exact same time for two different little people didn't work. By the end of each night I knew I had to alter one thing or another for one child or another.

We started with a semi already knew what she was doing Lilly and a scared for her life to sit on her potty chair Rose.

Day's 1-6 are already posted and blogged.

Here is day 7 & 8

Friday I was home all day and the girls did amazing! Besides one accident each in the morning they both went on their own the rest of the day. The girls were bare from the waist down still. I ended up on the phone with one of my sisters for a good long while and though I tried to constantly remind them if they had to pee they needed to go to the potty, I didn't feel quite on top of it on the phone. Regardless, they each went several times and whenever one went the other would applaud them.

I can always count on my girls being good mama's to each other.

Then lo and behold, Rose pooped.
hahaahaa....  I don't know.. it is funny to me that I am blogging about poop.
I was on the phone with Brenda still and my words after my shower of praise on Rose was, "She just pooped like a man!" For real I had no idea something so big could come out of someone so small!!

But I was so proud! My child who we almost felt helpless for, who refused to sit, like the seat was covered in acid, was the first to poop! And she did again Saturday.

We had dinner plans that night and I was rushing to get things done. I walked into the kitchen and walked back into the living room and there was a potty seat with potty in it. I had no idea who peed. No one called out to me to say they were going. No one came to ask for their treat after they went.
James my brother (& sitter) was on the couch and I asked him if he saw who went.
Of course he didn't.
It was mystery pee.
But I was impressed still that someone went all on their own!

I felt accomplished that night. 

Day 8

Daniel was home. I wanted to do underwear and pants, since we had church the day after and I wanted them to be use to being clothed and not have accidents. Clothing still brings a sense of security to them.
The morning we did the norm with nothing on from the waist down. They did perfect. No accidents.
It was so nice to have Daniel home again and have extra help!!
After their nap was the tough part when we had them completely clothed. Rose couldn't seem to get a handle on having clothes on and understanding she still needed to go to the potty. She had maybe three accidents and we just went back to bare. Lilly did fine. No accidents!

Though the evening was a little rough, I still feel overall the day went great.

Today is day 9.
The girls moved up in church to a class room setting. I was so excited for them to experience a class, learn about Jesus at church with other kids their age, through music, crafts and stories out of the Bible. This class also understands at this age there are potty trainers, so they would do their best to help.
We put the girls in underwear but put pullups on top then their normal clothes.
This was so I wouldn't be super worried about messes, but the girls will still feel the accident, if they had one.
They stayed dry the whole time!
They were so happy when we came to get them from class! They were playing and though Lilly got a little overwhelmed as she usually does when she sees us, Rose was jumping and laughing as she walked/jumped towards us. They had a lot of fun. And brought home their first craft from church.
Proud mama moment x100!!

We let the girls play outside but I think that was kind of distracting to them. We had an accident from Lilly and a couple from Rose.
By evening we were back to bare for ease.

We did our normal Sunday night routine, dinner, bath, & chocolate milk while we cuddle on the couch watching Brave. And I felt good about our long week trek.
We still have them wear a diaper at nap and at night. But hey, that's only 4 diapers total a day now!!

Okay so I did day 9 too.

I don't really know my exact expectations were at this point. I'm not really sure if all the people who do the bare from the waist down 3-4 days straight have completely accident free children by the end of day 4. Or if they have accidents and that it's a 'boot camp' for the first 3-4 days to have the kids have it figured out, but it's still a process for X amount of days, or weeks or months.

I feel like for my girls, we all made great progress. I learned to have better patience in all this and it helps that they have really figured this whole thing out.
I spend more time being proud and reassured by my determination than being frustrated like I was last week.

I have a few things to still get down with the girls.
1. Be able to wear clothes and not have accidents
2. Be outside and not be too distracted that they have accidents
3. To get them to sit on the toilet at home with a potty cover to prep them for trips outside of home and they have to go.
4. Go potty outside of home. Store, church, library or wherever.

I may not have 100% potty trained children, but I have two recently turned two year old girls very close and moving in that direction.
Someday this whole thing will be looked at like it wasn't that big of a deal. I'll tell them when their all grown up with kids of their own asking me how I did it with them, to go back to my blog and read it. I know me, my mind will sugar coat this whole mess and I'll say it was so easy and it took no time at all, and I am just mega super mom.

That last part isn't sugar coated though. I am a mega super mom! I mean c'mon, I potty trained two two year olds at the same time! I need a cape.

 The girls playing outside, on daddy and pretending to be asleep on the couch.




 Daniel's face... lol

No comments:

Post a Comment