Sunday, December 16, 2012

DIY Chalkboard Frames

So this is my first DIY post I'm doing which is outside of my usual posts but I love DIY projects and getting my hands messy with art.

Lilly & Rose are turning two in less than two weeks and we will be throwing a party for them. I said I would NOT go overboard this year because though it wasn't a whole whole lot to last years 1 year party I made everything myself.

When I see things on the shelf at a store I think, "Cute!" then I look at the price and decide, "OH MY! I can make that myself!!" Then I build up way too many projects and find myself running out of time, rushing and then exhausted.

I decided this year nothing too extravagant, but of course the treacherous and addicting Pinterest sparked too many urges to not attempt a few fun projects for their party.

I saw the chalkboards on some pins for parties as a means to show the menu and foods for the party. Do I need it? NO. But do I want it? YES! I talked myself into how this is a long term item I'll have for every party for next 35 years.... because they aren't allowed to date till then let alone get married and leave me.

But why buy chalkboards when I can MAKE THEM?!

I went to the dollar store and picked out some frames. Most the same size but I like different shapes and sizes therefore none need to look exactly the same because attempting to replicate the same thing over and over can be an obstacle and boring for me.

I then picked up some chalkboard spray paint from Michael's and I had a 50% off coupon. I got chalk and some sponge brushed also. I had Mod Podge already as well as scrapbook paper. So My total cost for this project was $15.

My tools:
Frames
Chalkboard Spray Paint
Scrapbook Paper
Mod Podge
Sponge Brushes
Chalk

First I need to get my frames out and begin pulling them apart to get the glass out.

 After I removed the glass I just straight up used the plastic bags (& some) that they came in to lay them on as I sprayed the Chalkboard paint. You can tell I use this spot often for my messy work that needs to be done outside.
Note to self: Don't do this on a windy day- I had a load of leaves sweep over my freshly painted frames and I was no happy mama.
 I let them dry and I did another coat as the label suggested. 

Now onto my frames! I wanted to use the same scrapbook patterns and colors I did for the girls Birthday Sign I made for them last year. I wanted to go for a collage of different papers for my first frame. I figured it'd make it easier to not have all the paper fit exactly right on the frame and can be totally random. 
I got my sponge brush and globed some Mod Podge on the section of the frame I was going to put paper on. I just tore pieces off from the scrapbook paper- again for the random look I was going for. Laid it over the soaked section of the frame and put more Mod Podge on top of the paper. I continued this for a while with different sizes of teared paper till I covered all parts of the frame.

After it was all covered I did a second coat. Here is how it looked when I was done.

Here are three frames I finished so far with the glass covered in the Chalkboard Spray Paint back in. I did the second with one paper and added stars and third is one paper with ladybugs all over. Sorry it's a little blurry!

 I chalked the whole board down and wiped it clean as directed on the Spray can. But It worked like a charm! It's easy to write on and erase. I love the look and am so excited to use them in a couple weeks for the girls PARTAY!


 TA DA!


No comments:

Post a Comment